I am a high school teacher who likes to get part time jobs over the summer. This summer, one of my jobs will be working as kennel help in my county's humane society. It's located in the next town over and I plan on riding my road bike. I want to take my dog Bernie to work with me. The distance is much too far (about 5-7 miles) to consider a simple bike basket--it just wouldn't be safe for him. What I would like to do is mount a rear attaching rack that attaches to both the seat and the back wheel and then attach a small dog carrier (my pup is only about 14 pounds) securely to the rack. Here are my questions:
What would be a good rack to purchase for this purpose?
What is the most secure way to attach the rack?
What is the best method for attaching the carrier? (All I can think to do is drill holes in the bottom of the carrier, zip tie it to the rack, and then cover the bottom of the carrier with a carpet remnant).
Is this project worth attempting?
Constructive help only, please
- Fixed Gear Wheelset
- 2010 Tarmac Expert at Rock N' Road Cyclery in Orange County, California
- How to Build a Road Bike in Less Than a Minute
- Are thin bicycle road tires suitable for the city?
- Yeovil Cycling Club - Hill Climb - 04 10 09 - High Ham
- Cycling family and an impatient driver
- Zipp Speed Weaponry 404 Wheelset - Tubular Black, Shimano
- Is it ok to use 24 spoke wheels for strictly XC use?
- Competitive Cyclist Reviews the Ridley Compact
- Urgent mechanics question: please help!?
- July 2012 (188)
- March 2012 (42)
- February 2012 (87)
- January 2012 (89)
- December 2011 (94)
- November 2011 (230)
- October 2011 (106)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (88)
- April 2011 (85)
- March 2011 (166)
- February 2011 (85)
- January 2011 (284)
- December 2010 (468)
- November 2010 (10)
- October 2010 (54)
- September 2010 (250)
- August 2010 (22)
- July 2010 (26)
- June 2010 (26)
- May 2010 (21)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (25)
- February 2010 (14)